To be successful, private foundations, like any business, need smart business strategies. We can help you identify and implement the nonprofit sector's leading best practices.
Whether you have an established foundation or are considering starting one, success depends on employing smart business practices. Selecting a clear focus. Establishing strategic partnerships. Managing your endowment. These are just a few of the tasks on a foundation leader’s plate. They’re also things that we can help you with. The Philanthropy Centre at J.P. Morgan has deep experience in the not-for-profit sector. We know that world, because we come from it. And we’ve set up and advised foundations of all shapes and sizes. Let us put our knowledge and network to work for yours.
When it comes to your foundation, we can help you:
- Establish a commitment level that’s comfortable for you—financially and otherwise.
- Identify or narrow your philanthropic focus, so that it aligns with your passions and can make the most impact.
- Write a strong mission statement and governance guidelines.
- Build your peer and partner network, so that you have the ongoing support, insight and connections you need.
- Assess nonprofits and individuals that are potential recipients of your gift giving.
- Establish grantmaking processes and guidelines (including those for international grantmaking, if applicable).
- Connect you to a best-in-class outsourced chief investment officer (OCIO) to manage your endowment, freeing you to focus on your mission and impact.
- Build consensus among family members and develop decision-making strategies.
- Plan for the foundation’s future and its next generation of leadership.
But our relationship doesn’t end there. The Philanthropy Centre will keep you up to date on the latest industry trends, practice and innovations.
Throughout the year, we host signature events to showcase prominent philanthropists’ journeys and the lessons they’ve learned. For younger family members, we offer NextGen learning courses—because it’s never too early to start a philanthropic journey.
This tax-efficient wealth management tool is a smart way to support the causes you believe in and provide for your family members—during your lifetime and beyond.
Making an impact starts with choosing the right structure for your philanthropic giving. A DAF can be a good alternative to setting up a private foundation.
Related & Recommended
My Next Move
A new podcast that humanizes money decisions.